Saturday, July 15, 2006

Week's woes - of wars & tomatoes

  • With powerless govts to stop the fanatical militant groups we have a rush of violence - Mumbai / Israel-Lebanon ongoing conflict / LTTE...
  • Obviously nothing can top the first woe. But I think it is time the world knew about a stolen tomato.
My dedication to nurturing my first potted plant is a recorded fact. And this plant produced one small tomato. Green with splashes of yellow. End of July and so I was told was the due date. Each evening I would water it lovingly; at times be tempted to bring a tape and measure the diameter. I did talk to the plant. No no.. no names yet. It is considered unlucky to name it ahead of its legal entrance into this world.

The day was like any other; I carried some extra soil to pad the pot. And then there was none. No tomato. The pot looked stripped of all its glory.

I am from Chennai. It has the meanest of streets and hosts the worst of truants. Events like a stolen tomato should not affect me. But it did shake me a little from the protective cocoon I was living in here, in the USA. In a college town where students sleep peacefully with their doors unlocked, is it unreasonable to have an unprotected tomato plant ?

Well atleast I hope someone enjoyed a delicious dish made from my tomato. Isn't that the typical Hindu reaction ? Or in keeping with the current trend should I wage jihad on all tomato-eaters of this planet ?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home