Thursday, May 19, 2005

Servant Maid

Saraswathi, my maid is looking for a groom for her 15 year old daughter. Inspite of being married to an alcoholic and getting beaten up everyday, she wishes to get her lil one married asap. She has 2 daughters and wants to fulfill her responsibilities. Virginity is a big deal especially in the lower strata of the indian society and so is caste. Neither can be compromised. 2 years ago I was passionate about lodging a complaint with the police when she would show me her bruises and cuts from the beatings of the previous night. Of course that very thought shocked her. It was her husband and she was fated to receive the blows,
Today, I hear different reasons for her getting thrashed.Eg: why was he graying earlier than she was. I feel no such youthful passion surging through me. I just accept with resignation. Now I try to advice her against marrying off the daughter so early. Perhaps 2 years later, she will show me her grandson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home