Thursday, October 21, 2004

Goodbye Mr Chips

Goodbye Mr Chips- What a wonderful movie. We just watched the Robert Donat version (1939). I remember reading the book as a child. Black and white movies have never really held my attention, until I saw this one. The grace and dignity that people displayed in bygone years was so charming. The students then were so respectful and loving towards their teachers. Their pranks were flavored with innocence and they truly believed in their mentors. When I think about school today, I realise with regret that there is never really a student - teacher bond formed. I enjoyed my schooling years in India and I still can name with fondness some of my favourite teachers. Ms Anita, Ms Susan, Ms. Jayanthi my English teachers, Ms Sundari my physics teacher, Ms Nawaz my Maths teacher and Ms Victoria my Hindi teacher. I remember Ms Victoria in particular. She was such a frail old widow. She would get so teary eyed when reading a particular lesson about friends. She would talk about her wayward son, who had fallen into bad company and would beg us to choose more wisely. One day when I was cracking my knuckles (for the lack of a better term) in class she admonished me. She told me if I did that too often my knuckles would grow bigger than my slender fingers, and it would look ugly. I don't know if that is true but everytime I crack my knuckles,I think of her. Such is the role of a teacher in shaping a child's memories.
It is difficult to establish a bond in college unless of course it is your advisor, who you get to spend with a great deal of time. The startling lack of communication from either teacher/stident's side is pitiable. Professors today are saddled with tight class hours filled with ppt presentations. Students with their legs outstretched, rather eat their burger and fries , with the teacher's voice playing lullaby in the darkly lit room than pay any attention in class. I understand that the demands of modern day education impose severe restrictions on either party's ability to breach the borders of pedantic syllabus.
US graduate schools are admired all over the world, but the undergraduates here have an attitude which is hard to fathom. To date it is unthinkable for me to even drink a bottle of coke when the teacher is teaching. We would ask for permission to leave the class, even if it meant holding the bursting bladder a little while longer. And here, students walk out of class without a trace of inhibition, eat seven course meals, perhaps even belch a little in between, all whilst the class is going on. It is rude to behave in such a manner in front of any speaker and to do this, when the speaker is a teacher, is despicable.
I am afraid to think of what I might have to suffer through if I embark on an academic career. Perhaps, I too shall become immune to such finer sensitivities.

Goodbye old traditions.

-Subbu

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home