Saturday, April 02, 2005

Correct instead of Criticize

That is the wikiness mantra which I believe holds true for life too. People seem to use criticism as a medium to achieve many different objectives - a joke at someone's expense, an outlet for own insecurities, jealousy, etc. The most positive effect of criticism would be improvement.
However, is it possible to criticize constructively and not demoralize the recipient ? I think the finest example of this would be my advisor. Till date, he has gone through innumerable pages of my supposed research outpourings and not on a single occassion has he lowered my self-esteem by negative criticism. And yet, at the end of each discussion I am fully aware of my shortcomings and feel rejuvenated enough to believe that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Another striking illustration: He had gone to Mumbai,India for a week on a teaching assignment. For any westerner who has not visited a developing nation, my country is a shocker in many respects. And yet, when he returned, all he had were words of praise about the food, the people, the hospitality. It seemed like he had just visited paradise! I meet so many critical Indians here who openly shun my country, her pollution, the government, the poverty, the heat, etc.. Barring the lesson in patriotism, the moral of the story is : if you cannot correct something, shut up. Don't sit and bitch about it.

Looking back, I believe I am guilty of blogging a piece which is hyper-critical of someone. That will be deleted. I am learning too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home